Taipingjing Christian Church (Maxwell Memorial Church)
No. 6, Gongyuan Road, West Central District, Tainan City.【Brief Introduction】
Taipingjing Maxwell Memorial Church is the full name for Taipingjing Christian Church. It is one of the first Presbyterian Churches in Taiwan and is situated in ''Gouzaidi'', thus, also known as ''Gouzaidi Church''. Reconstructed in 1951, an organ was set up then. On 27, May, 1865, Doctor Maxwell was sent to Taiwan to serve his first term by the Presbyterian Church of the United Kingdom. Tainan (then, the Taiwan Prefecture) was chosen to be the centre for Presbyterian missionary services.【History】
In 1878, a church was established- The Taiwan Prefecture Church. A group of respected elders offered land to build the church’s cemetery at Sanfenzih. In January, 1879, Sunday School was established, followed by the set up of a girls’ school a year later (the modern-day Chang Jung Girls’ High School). Principal Jhu Yue-an served as the first Sunday School principal and marked the start of promoting women’s rights. In 1887, Principal Yu Rao-li of the (modern-day) Chang Jung High School, founded the ''Young Men’s Association'' which carries a goal of caring for adolescents’ faith and well-being. The church also established the ''Biliya Association'', which was the start of the youth fellowship. In 1901, Deacon Wu Dao-yuan donated a plot of land for the Taipingjing Church and also gathered donations on behalf of the followers and Reverend Barclay (each donating approximately two thousand dollars) to the congregation. The Taipingjing Church was completed on 13 September, 1902. The congregation in the United Kingdom sent a monument, marking it the ''Maxwell Memorial Church'' as a way to commemorate the missionary efforts of Doctor Maxwell and the history of the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan.【Features】
Architectural Features: The Taipingjing Christian Church has a triangular-shaped roof, pentagon-shaped windows, a arched polyhedron roof, and a style typical of a church.
--Source: Taipingjing Maxwell Memorial Church.--